Monday, November 26, 2012

What's The Deal?

     "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him" (Psalm 34:8)

     The other day one of my kids asked me "Why Do They Call it Black Friday?" I was tempted to answer her that it's because according to many of the blogs, Newspaper articles,  Facebook posts I read Black Friday is one of the most evil of days.

   It's black because  it steals from us our hard earned money as we buy more than we should.  It's black because of how people act when they got out to the stores to get a good deal. Normal nice people trample on one another. There are injuries and death.  It's black because it's evil grows. It has grown into cyber Monday. This year some stores allowed it's blackness to extend even to Thanksgiving Night, threatening to take store workers away from their families.

   I could have said all of this, but I didn't. I gave her the real answer. It's called Black Friday because it's traditionally the first day many stores begin to run "in the black" and make a profit for themselves. That's why they push so hard to get your business because it gives them a larger profit.

   I didn't say all of those other things, because I don't know that the days in and of themselves are evil.  I'm even willing to go out on a limb and say if you are a Christian and participated in Black Friday it's not a sign you have lost your faith. I've been out on a few of them and I've not lost mine. I've had it tested more than a few times, but never lost it.  One could,  I imagine even make the case that one is practicing good stewardship by trying to save some money.

   So if you went shopping over the weekend don't feel guilty.  Just don't ask Black Friday to do more than it should.  It might save you a few dollars, but it won't satisfy your soul.  That's the problem with having things. They promise us the more we have the happier we will be. Therefore the more we get for other people they happier it will make them. But it never seems to work out that way does it? Often having more things just makes us more unhappy. We worry about making payments, about upkeep and maintenance. Just when we should be happy with what we have, somebody comes out with a new version and tells us what we have is obsolete.

   Whenever I see the ads for Black Friday I think of the book of Ecclesiastes, where the author looks at everything in life, including possessions to make him happy and answer the great questions of life.  All leave him unsatisfied.

    If you are looking for the best deal this Christmas Season, might I suggest you look to our Scripture. It says "Taste and See that The Lord is Good".  I love that. God's goodness, His ability to satisfy us, isn't theoretical.  It's real, definable, measurable.  There is a goodness to God that touches all our senses and satisfies our hearts.  This year, don't let Jesus be an afterthought for you. taste and experience His goodness. Pray and worship more. Serve more. enjoy Him more.  Taste and See that he is Good.  It's a deal that will last for eternity.

In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones <><

No comments:

Post a Comment