Monday, January 14, 2013

Neverending Story

"For  the next two years, Paul lived in Rome at his own expense.  He welcomed all who visited him, boldly proclaiming the Kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ.  And no one tried to stop him" (Acts 28:30-31)

   I admit I like closure.  I like things wrapped up in a nice bow. It's just a part of my personality.  In fact whenever I've taken a personality test that's the part I score the highest on.

   Therefore I've never liked movies that have an open end to them. You know the ones I'm talking about don't you? The ones with the cutesy, or artsy ending where you have to draw your own conclusions.   My gut reaction has always been "Somebody got paid a lot of money to make this movie.  And I know I paid a lot to watch it.  Finish the story.  I'm not not here to do your work for you."  Again my apologies.  As I said, that's the place my personality tests come out the strongest.

    Maybe that's why for a long time I never cared for the way the book of Acts ends. It ends with the verses on the top of this page.   Not exactly a climatic moment is it?  I recently read through the book of Acts again, and I was struck by how many threads to the story are left unfinished.  Many people, important at the beginning, just disappear. We don't know, for example what happens to many of the Disciples.  Peter all but vanishes.  We don't even know what happens to Paul. The book just ends with him under house arrest.

  Of course one of the reason the story ends the way ti does is that  Luke took the story as far as he could.  At the time of his writing, Paul and Peter's stories hadn't been finished yet.  Luke isn't so much avoiding an ending as he is bringing his readers up to date as best he could. But notice no one ever completed it.  Stories such as the upside down crucifixion of Peter, or the death of Paul could have been included a short time later.  The story could have been completed.  Or could it?

   I think there is a very good reason why Acts was left this way.  The book is the story of the work of the Holy Spirit in the Body of Christ.  It;'s the story of the church.  Where do you end such a story? With the Martyrs? Withe spread of the Gospels to the Western world?  With John Wesley? or the 2nd Awakening in America? the early 20th century revivals in Wales? With you in church last Sunday?

  Acts doesn't end because God is still writing the story. The Holy Spirit is still working. In the church, in the world, even in you and me.   God's power has not Waned. His spirit still does Miracles.  He still changes lives.  No the problem does not lie in a lack of God's power, but in a lack of vision on our part. We fail to see we are still a part of this story. We've stopped expecting God's Spirit o write a new chapter in our lives.

    Maybe it's time we begin to do just that. I wonder what might happen if we would begin to pray, "Lord write the next chapter of the Book Of Acts in my life, in my church today." Would the Holy Spirit move through us? Of course he would!  Praise God His story continues, and we are a part of it.

In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones <><


No comments:

Post a Comment