Monday, April 29, 2013

Get Your Physical/Spiritual Check Up

"Search Me O, God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of ever lasting life." Psalm 139:23-24

Last year, in order to get some immunizations for a mission trip, I had a physical. It had been some time since I had one, which is why the doctor wanted it done before I got the shots.  It's not that I am afraid to get a physical or don't like my doctor. Actually, he's a great guy.  To be honest, I just never think about it. I've always had good health. I hardly ever go to the doctor.

But go I did, and I had the Physical done. Let me tell you, the physical you have at my age is much different than it was when I was twenty.  I'd like to pass that off to improvement in medicine and technology, but I know that's not the entire story. While I am in very good health, my age dictated  that they check certain things more than they did many years ago. They checked your heart etc.  I draw little pleasure in thinking a few years from now those tests will be even more thorough and invasive.

I passed the physical with few problems.  I thought as I left, now I know I am in good health. because if there had been any problems they would have found it. I was thoroughly examined from head to foot. Blood was taken,they monitored my heart, checked my liver.  I got to answer all those questions about my health (Do you drink alcohol? No. smoke? No etc.)

I'm glad they were so thorough.   Because if there was a problem, if I had been sick, I would want to know. I would want them to find out what was wrong and then figure out  a way to help me. I would want to be better. I was willing to undergo whatever test they had for me in order to make sure that my physical health was as good as it should be.

In a way that's what David is asking of God in the Psalm above. God, search my heart and my thoughts. If there is something wrong, something you don't want to be there, point it out. Get rid of it. Give me good spiritual health.

That sounds great, but I wonder how many of us would really want that thorough an exam of our heart. Do you really want God to search your heart? Do you honestly want Him to find out anything that might offend Him? That's the problem isn't it? In order to have a spiritual exam of our hearts we can no longer be the standard bearer. It's not what offends us. It's what might offend God. And then we ask Him to remove it.

Yes it could be painful. Invasive even. But there is simply no way for us to have a healthy heart unless we allow God to examine it. That's the great promise. If we allow God to examine our hearts He will remove the unhealthy parts of our spirits and give us a new and improved heart. One that's built for eternity.

I want to encourage you to use the Scripture at the start of this post as a part of your prayer life for the next year. It takes some time for God to get past our stubbornness and pride and reveal the sickness of our soul. So be patient. Pray these words every day and allow God to examine your spirits. Also, ask Him to make you new. You'll feel better. I promise.

In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones <><

 

No comments:

Post a Comment