Monday, August 12, 2013

A Miracle In The Darkness

"35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in," (Matthew 24:35)

     "Everybody's talking at me, but I don't hear a word their saying" You may. or may not recognize the lyrics to "Everybody's Talking" by Harry Nilsson but you are probably familiar with the sentiment.  With the onslaught of social media, old fashioned (which of course we mean any thing over five years old) and even, ashamedly, blogs it seems today everybody is talking.  It's an amazing phenomena if you think about it.  Not only does everyone have something to say, we are firm in our belief that everybody else wants to hear us.  

 In many ways it's discouraging. We are a little over  a hundred years removed from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.  We are only 70 some years from the oratory of Churchill and FDR.  What have we replaced it with? Meme's of grumpy cats,  a detailed account of what you have done today.  And last, but not least photos of your dinner.  How self centered have we become when we assume the world wants to know what we had to eat?  Personally I'm glad you enjoyed your polenta last night. But I don't need a photo of it. Just tell me you enjoyed it.  I trust you. I don't need further confirmation .

  We saints in the church aren't immune to this either. Especially those of us who are in full time ministry. We do our fair amount of talking.  But I've noticed lately that a lot of that talking has taken a curious negative bent.  I'm reminded of a cartoon I have somewhere in my office of an older lady, Gladys,  standing in church giving the morning prayer. "And Lord we thank you for the many prayer requests we've had this morning.  but it sure seems like a bunch of complaining to me"  

  Just this past week I've seen articles of pastors who have left the ministry complain about how congregations don't understand us. And of course many clergy joined in with their own complaints. I've seen complaints by retired bishops on how draining the small church is, I've witnessed counter complaints by pastors of small churches about how draining retired bishops are. We complain about the lack of millennials, the over abundance of millennials, the loss of church influence in the world (by which we mean America by the way) and on and on it goes.  I want to stand with  Gladys and Harry Nilsson and sing "Everybody's talking at me and it seems like a bunch of complaining to me"

  So perhaps with all the negative talk you might begin to either turn everyone off, or begin to wonder, is it really as bad as it seems?  No, in fact it's not. There is in the midst of the clamor and cacophony of negativity a still small voice that reminds us what we have is Good News. That's what the Gospel means. It means Good News. And when God proclaims something to be Good News, it's Good News. Nothing can change that. Nor can a million complaining voices drown it out.  When God calls something good that proclamation no matter if it's even whispered thunders across creation.

  If we look, in the midst of the darkness of complaint we see miracles. Just this past week I witnessed the miracle of a group of youth from comfortable suburbia go to the New York city and minister to people they don't know and will never, in all likelihood see again. Why? Because they firmly believe Jesus wanted them to, and that's what the church does.  In today's why me young society that's pretty miraculous.

  I sat with a group of people I don't know that well just yesterday and planned a mission to Mexico. We'll be a part of a Medical mission that at times seems like we are barely stemming the tide. Some might even wonder what's the sue. I've never heard any of thee people say that.  They go and minister, play with the children do their best to heal not because they get any acclamation for it. But because they firmly believe that's what Jesus wants them to do.

  And while I am proud of the church I serve, its not unique. haven't you witnessed the miracle of VBS, often understaffed, under funded yet somehow comes off every year simply because your church wants the children in your community to know about Jesus? Miracle. The person we convinced to go to the AA group downstairs and is now on their way to recovery? Miracle. That person who has sat in the church for thirty years makes a public profession of his faith and becomes a member? Miracle.  

  And I could go on. I won't because a part of the fun is when we begin to see the miracles around us.  They are all around us aren't they? They always have been. We just haven't been listening as closely as we should. Yes everybody is still talking. But as for me I'm going to pay closer attention to the voice that proclaims the Good News and shouts out the miracles.

In Christ,

Rev. Dr. Brian Jones <><

  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment