Monday, November 4, 2013

Eyes Everywhere

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,let us lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us." (Hebrews 12:1)

"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me" (Rockwell)

For those of you who remember this song from the '80's or its incessant playing on MTV I apologize that it's now running through your head. A couple of disclaimers. First, to the younger generation, let me explain that at one time MTV played music videos instead of awful reality shows about people showing you how awful they were. Secondly if you don't know the song, be thankful. I pulled it up on Spotify while writing this in order to make sure I remembered it correctly. I did. And there is little wonder why people make fun of the 80's.

But for all of that, who knew that Rockwell, whatever his musical issues, would be something of a prophetic voice? There can be little doubt that many of us could be singing this song today.  If you follow the news you know there is a report of the government always watching someone one, or everyone, or almost no one, depending on who you wish to believe.
 
But this blog isn't intended to point fingers.  Because, truth be told, we might as well say "join the club."  I mean, is there anyone who isn't watching us today? Our grocery stores watch our purchases to help their marketing and send you coupons for things you just happened to be running low on. Our gas stations watch our purchases as well. Facebook and Twitter watch us in order to show us ads of things they think will interest us or people we might wish to follow based on past trends. Netflix makes suggestions of movies we might like based on what we have previously watched.  Just this morning I received an email from Spotify making music suggestions based on what I've listened to recently.  Which of course means I'll be receiving suggestions for Cameo and Was (Not Was) based on my Rockwell excursion a few moments ago. I wonder, if that song were to be played today, would it be "I Always Feel Like Everyone's Watching Me?"

But perhaps being watched isn't such a bad thing.  In our Scripture above, the Author of Hebrews says we are being watched, always being watched, by a great cloud of witnesses. Who are these witnesses? The author ties this to the 11th Chapter of Hebrews which list the great heroes of the faith. Moses, Abraham, Gideon, Samson, David and Samuel.  They are watching you.  These witnesses surround you. Pretty intimidating if you think about it.

But the writer isn't done. He adds to the list those martyred for their faith.  If we look around, we will see Bonehoeffer, Jim Elliott, Hundreds of pastors in China, We see  Latimer, Polycarp. We see the aged and the young who died in the Coliseum for refusing to recant their faith.

Beyond them we can see the other Saints. The saints from your life. Your pastors from your youth who are in Heaven. Your third grade Sunday School teacher who taught you that Jesus loves you. The volunteer at VBS who made sure you could recite John 3:16. Your Youth pastor who led you to the Lord. Your grandmother who gave you your first Bible with a carefully written note on the fly leaf. Your Dad who never failed to pray for you every night before he went to sleep.

Maybe I missed your saints and witnesses. But you have them. They are those who told you of Jesus and lived out a live of faith until God called them to go onto the Great Adventure of Heaven.  And they are all there watching you.

At times, when I read this Scripture, it disquiets me. It even disturbs me a little bit. There are days, more than I care to mention, when I feel as if I have failed that great cloud of  witnesses.  They have passed on to me a great treasure of faith that I didn't take care of that day. They have seen me at my worst. Think for a moment about your most recent sins. Can you imagine that Paul, John and John Wesley saw that? Let alone your Nanna?

If that's you today, I want you to go back and look at the full verse. Very often we stop reading after "the great cloud of witnesses."  When you read this verse in whole, the author sees the great cloud of witnesses, these Saints, not looking in judgement, but cheering you on.  They are not judges but your cheering section. Have you ever seen the footage at the end of a marathon? Or perhaps you've run one yourself.  All those people cheering you on, telling you not to give up. Words of encouragement. Don't give up. That's what those saints are doing. Let go of your sin. Embrace God's holiness.  We know you're tired but don't give up. Keep running.

I hope you hear those voices today. Maybe you've stumbled in your race. Maybe the goal of a Christ-like life seems too far away. Maybe you've been running with a heavy burden.  Please know you are not alone. The great cloud of witness are cheering you on.  Those saints who God put across your path are still cheering you on. And the loudest voice of all is at the Finish Line. He has His arms spread wide and waits to put those nail-scarred hands on your shoulders and say "Well done my good and faithful servant. Come and Join the Saints."

I, for one, am glad they are cheering us on. Listen to their voices this morning. Let's keep running the race that is set before us. We aren't alone. There is a Great Cloud Of Witnesses.

In Christ,
Dr. Brian Jones <><

  

No comments:

Post a Comment