Sunday, March 10, 2013

An indescribable and glorious joy


1 Peter 1: 3,8
3 “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead … 8 Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy”

As I reflect on these past few days in mission in Nuevo Progreso, I will forever have in my memory the love and joy that I saw in the faces of the parents and children for whom we built a home. They live in such great material poverty but radiate the riches they have in Christ. The children were so full of joy and laughter as they played together in the blowing dust, making toys out of whatever they could find around their home. What we may call trash is possibly treasure in their eyes. I felt I wanted to give them so many things but realized that God’s love and grace is enough. The last day was so very full of emotion, not only for the dear family, but for all of us. Manuel, the father of the family, expressed how so grateful he and his family was for a mission such as ours and in a time such as this, that we could find it in their hearts to come so far to help and love as Christ calls us to do.  The family’s appreciation brought so many tears of joy, because they saw in all of us the hands and feet of Christ working right along beside of them building them a better shelter.  Manuel and Paula (parents) said they will forever have us all in their hearts, as we will also. Their hospitality was so wonderful. They gave us a feast – a beautiful meal to thank us all.  We broke bread together, giving thanks to God for the fellowship we shared with each other and for the new friends we made. I thank God for working through me to joy to bring smiles and hope to such gracious family far away yet so close to my heart. It is such an overwhelming feeling to feel such satisfaction in and through Christ.  It was so hard to say our farewells- I must say it leaves a hole in my heart!  I am so thankful and grateful for the opportunity to be a servant of the Lord, receiving joy in return. I hold the five precious children and their parents in my heart and pray for the Lord to keep a circle of protection around them and for the doors of opportunity to open for them.  I pray for their faith and joy and hope in God to remain steadfast in the midst of great poverty and drought. 

Psalm 126:2b, 3  “The LORD has done great things for them.  The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.”

Liz Winfree

No comments:

Post a Comment