Monday, July 1, 2013

Here Comes The Bride

I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. (Revelation 21:2-3)

I was almost sideswiped the other day by a Hummer limousine.  The interesting thing is that I didn't even blink twice that there was such a thing as a Hummer limousine or that it was coming down our street.

When you are a pastor and live near a church in June, being almost hit by all sorts of limos, party buses, and horses and carriages is occupational hazard in June, and really all through summer.  It is Wedding time in the life of the church.  I've never been exactly sure why we decided the hottest part of the year is the best time to dress up in floor-length dresses and tuxedos, but we do.  From here on out we will work around, be invited to and, for some of us, officiate at weddings throughout the summer months.

Weddings, and marriage in particular, has been in the public forum quite a bit over the last few weeks. Don't worry, we aren't using today's blog to give our own position on the recent Supreme Court rulings.  I'm more than glad to sit with you and do that, but that's not what today's blog is intended to do. No, rather I want to look at the idea that marriage is much more of a civil matter and not so much a religious one. You've seen the argument: Marriage is a civil ceremony the state grants the church permission to participate in.

To which I must wholeheartedly disagree. There is a deeper meaning to a wedding and marriage than simply a ceremony. Look again at our Scripture. Jesus refers to the church as His bride. The Book of Revelations ends with a wedding banquet as Jesus, the groom welcomes His bride, the church into His Kingdom. 

At its best, marriage and weddings are to help us understand how Jesus loves the church. He loves it as a groom loves His bride. If you've been a groom, perhaps you can remember that feeling as your bride walked down the aisle. You cherished her. Your heart beat faster. You were passionately in love with this person. I hope you still are. This is how Jesus sees the church. When He looks at us His heart beats faster. He loves us with a passion that causes our passion to pale in comparison. He cherishes us. 

How is it then we can be so comfortable in prostituting the Bride of Christ. I know that's an ugly harsh term but I simply can't think of any other way to  put it. What is prostitution? The use of someone for your own end and for your own pleasure for whom you pay tribute. You give me pleasure and I pay you. 

For some, that's how they treat the church. I will come as long as you make me happy. Make me happy, meet my needs, and I will pay you with my presence and maybe an offering of money. And the moment you no longer meet my felt or assumed needs, I can remove myself from you and find another. Sometimes its not even about my needs. My needs are being met.  But I can't help but wonder if the grass is greener, a little more exciting, if I try something a little different? 

Does this mean there is never a reason to change churches? Of course there are reasons, but probably less good ones than you think. To be honest, most of the time those reasons are simply rationalizations of "My. Me Mine." If I and mine aren't happy then there is something wrong. 

The simple truth is that the church isn't about us. It's not about you, or me. It's about Jesus. It's about our being in a community of faith, often hypocritical and stumbling, that somehow is still being formed into the image for Christ. It's about being a cherished bride that wants to show the world not how satisfied we are, but showing the world the truth of a resurrected savior. 

I don't always do it well, but I've been praying that God will continue to help me take my eyes off of myself and onto Him. I want to cherish the Bride of Christ as much as Jesus does. And I want to do what I can to help the bride get ready for the wedding feast and make her as good as she can be. I can't be selfish and still cherish the Bride the way Jesus does. None of us can.

In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones  <><

 

No comments:

Post a Comment