Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A prayer for the beginning of Advent


This beautiful prayer comes to us from the Society of St. Andrew, an ecumenical organization dedicated to eradicating hunger, in the United States and worldwide. Lord, come to us.

Read Isaiah 9:1-7

We pray together: 

Loving and compassionate God, I pray today, anticipating your coming again into the world as a child in Bethlehem’s manger. I seek you. I need you in so many ways in my life. Lord, come to us.

I think of areas of strife in this world, and I look for your coming as Messiah, ushering in a new kingdom, where your love will reign supreme; a new kingdom, where there will be no war, fighting, or injustice; a new kingdom, where all people will know your love. Lord, come to us.

I think of people I know who feel far from you this day, and I look for your coming as Savior, rescuing them (and me) from worry, loneliness, desperation, sadness, sin, and fear; giving them (and me) faith, courage, and hope. Lord, come to us.

I think of those needing certainty and direction in their lives, and I look for your coming as King, establishing law, tempered with justice and love. I look for your coming as Lord, focusing their searching and bringing them under your care. Lord, come to us.

I remember the children of the world who so need role models, and I look for your coming as Son of God, showing them (and me) daily what you are like, and how they (and I) may live obediently and do your will. Lord, come to us.

I remember those dear to me, suffering this day in body or in spirit, and I look for your coming as Son of Man, suffering alongside and willingly giving your life for them. I look for your coming as Miracle Worker, touching broken lives and bodies, making them whole once again. Lord, come to us.

Gracious and glorious God of many names, I need you breaking into my life again, reminding me of promises made and promises fulfilled. Be born in and through me in this Advent season as I seek your will. Lord, come to us.

In the name of the Savior who was and is and is to come, I pray: Lord, come to us. Amen.

_________________________________________________________________

 You may wish to feed your spiritual hunger during the weeks leading up to Christmas with these daily devotions from Society of St. Andrew. Subscribe here. May God’s light shine brightly through you in this holy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment