Monday, December 16, 2013

Is Jesus Ruining Christmas?

"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles" 1 Corinthians 1:23

   ESPN recently got themselves into hot water, again, for refusing to show a commercial from a Catholic Hospital that mentioned Jesus. You can imagine the shock of the ESPN sensors when they heard the name of Jesus mentioned at Christmas time. They refused to show the  commercial because they felt the mention of Jesus "might be problematic."

  While ESPN has since reversed that decision and are airing the commercial, it did flame the fires of the Christmas vs. Holiday feud. Evey year I heart people who are angry that the word Christmas issued, or not. They are upset their kids get a winter break or have holiday parties. And I've seen umpteen pleads from folk on my Facebook page to 'Keep Christ In Christmas" 

   While I'm all for "keeping Christ in Christmas" I can't help but wonder if ESPN isn't on to something.  When it comes to Christmas Jesus is problematic.  In fact there are times when I wonder if Jesus isn't in some ways ruining Christmas.

  Without Jesus, I am free to go on a Credit card melting spending spree with little regard for the homeless man who sits outside of Walmart asking for money so he can eat.  In fact without Jesus I can even be a bit put off by his behavior.   Without Jesus I dont' have to worry about  the consequences of unbridled avarice. Oh I might feel a bit nauseous when the credit card bill comes in January, but I don't' worry about what it might do to my soul.  And I certainly don't think about any affluence infection I might pass on to my children.

   Without Jesus I can wish for Peace on Earth, Odd Will to All People,without ever really experiencing it to happen.  And I never wonder at the hypocrisy of singing "God Rest Ye Merry gentlemen" while shaking my fist at the person who cut me off and took the last parking space at the mall. Peace is a wonderful idea, but as long as Jesus doesn't interfere I don't have to ask what ti has to do with me.

  Without Jesus Christmas becomes a time of  Good will and warm fuzzy thoughts that surround a man woman and child who couldn't find room in the Comfort Inn Bethlehem. Its a nice story of how a family births a baby amidst soulful looking animals and some shepherds. You even get an angel or two flying over. And really doesn't it all work out in the end? You can make a case that once is all said and done Mary and Joseph make out OK.  They end up with some Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh after all.  All expensive gifts.

  I don't have to think how Jesus asks me if in the midst of a busy Christmas season if I've made room for Him in my heart. I'm busy (I'm a pastor and it's Advent after all) I don't have the time, or the desire for a guilt trip. without Jesus I don't' have to worry about it. And I certainly don't have to think how those Expensive gifts were also a foreboding of the death and burial of Jesus. 

  No give me those warm and fuzzy feelings that only last a week or two.  I don't want to think about how how the Christmas story isn't necessarily supposed to make me feel god, but to be the beginning of a transforming relationship where I becoming more like Christ, a transformation by the way that is not always pleasant to experience.

  No the more I think about it. Maybe Jesus is problematic when it comes to thinking about Christmas.  Because the incarnation changes everything. That homeless person becomes my brother for whom, if Jesus is right, I will be questioned about his care when Jesus returns. That whole sheep and goats thing, where my eternity hinges on how I love others, is a bummer.

 When Jesus enters the picture I see that peace is possible, but that it will begin with me. I have to turn the other cheek. In fact Jesus' entire Sermon on the Mount tells me that being nice (we won't even get into who defines that!) for two weeks before a Holiday doesn't cut it. He demands I live a different life and makes it possible.

With Jesus, I don't' even get the warm and fuzzies. He reminds me that the love, compassion true joy of Christmas can be mine. But hey are only mine because of His sacrifice, death and resurrection. And if I am ever to experience that joy he expects me to be transformed, to sacrifice, die and be born again just like Him. After all He tells us to pick up our cross.  He didn't mean carry a burden or the Christian Life is heavy.  When you carry a cross there is only one logical conclusion. Death. The joy, peace, hope of Christmas aren't well wishes, they are a reality for us who live in Christ. But that transformation will only come as we die to ourselves and live toward Jesus.


So I'm not going to judge ESPN too harshly this year. They are right. Jesus is problematic. He is a problem. A wonderful ,powerful incarnational, incomparable problem! and I, for one, am glad.

  
Continue a Joyous Advent. The Problematic King of Kings is coming.

In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones <><
 

No comments:

Post a Comment