Monday, December 30, 2013

Jesus Is The Reason For What Season?

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. (Isaiah 9:6-7)

     It's natural for us to become a bit reflective when we reach this time of year.  One year begins to wind down as the new year beckons us with all sorts of possibility.  We look back at the good and the bad. Joy and regret.

  I guess that's why I am feeling a bit reflective as I look back over our Christmas season this year. I hope that Christmas brought you much joy and space as you celebrated the birth of Christ.   The joy of worship, family and friends, laughter and food reminded me of how blessed we all are.

  But I was also struck at just how polarizing Christmas is.   Oh not the day itself but the word Christmas.  Every year it seems we gather  into battle over wishing someone, or not, a Merry Christmas.  Those who are not of the Christian faith take expectation that they are wished a Meryl Christmas. Schools now have winter celebrations instead of Christmas parties.

  And of course we in the church are just as bad.  Heaven help the person who makes the mistake of wishing  the faithful "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. And never, ever, ever use Xmas instead of Christmas.  We don't care how many cards you have to write or that you were running out of room. You don't take Christ out of Christmas. Why you might as well just sign the cards with 666!

  This debate has been going on for years.  I had a conversation with a dear saint twenty years ago and she was lamenting that she as having a hard time finding Christmas cards at the local store.  she found plenty of "holiday" cards but not Christmas. And she wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

   As I reflect on it, it occurs to me that we, at least in the church are missing the point. I'd have to say I don't car what  you say to me. Wish me a Merry Christmas. I'm a Christian and that's what I celebrate. Wish me Happy Holidays. Holiday comes from Holy Days. I'm OK if you hope I have happy Holy Days.  And you can write Xmas all you want on any card you send me.  the X originally stood for the Greek Letter CHI, used for the first two letters of the word  Christ.  I guess I just don't care what you say.

  Now please understand I'm all for keeping Christ in Christmas.  And I firmly believe  "Jesus Is The Reason For The Season" I even have a mug that says so.  But shouldn't keeping Christ in Christmas mean more than  what we write on a card? We keep Christ in Christmas by keeping Christ in our selves.

    What takes Christ out of Christmas is when we have an un-Christlike attitude. When we are caught up in the greed and avarice of the world, when we react with hate or bigotry, when we become self centered. When we allow our sinful natures to take over and indulge in every  whim and impulse. That's what takes Christ out of Christmas.  If we want to keep Christ in Christmas, maybe we should be more intentional about being more like Christ. 

  The way to keep Christ in Christmas is to make Jesus the reason for every season. We need to show the world the transformational power of a relationship with Jesus Christ. Let's shows the world the reason we celebrate Christmas is because Jesus has entered our lives and saved us, changed us.  Let's be as loving and caring of others mid summer as we are on Christmas Eve.  Let's endeavor to make Peace on Earth not what we put on a card, but how we live with our families, friends, neighbors and co-workers.  Maybe the rest of the world would sing Joy To The world if we were a little more joyful to be around.

  As we stand on the cusp of the new year, my prayer is that I will allow others to see Christ in me just as easily in the spring as hopefully they do at Christmas. That I will be just as concerned with keeping Jesus in front of others in the summer as I am  during Advent.  That I will live my life in a way that causes others to marvel at God's love in the fall as much as on Christmas day. Here's hoping that every day of your new year will be happy, Holy days.
In Christ,
Rev. Dr. Brian Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment